Friday, October 9, 2009

BRING BACK THE MIXTAPE.


Tomorrow I am driving home for the weekend.  There aren't many occasions that I love more than Thanksgiving.  The first long weekend in awhile, the sweater wearing weather, the family, friends and food without the craziness of Christmas surrounding it.  Thanksgiving is wicked.

In typical pre-road trip fashion, I spent the morning not accomplishing the dozens of things that need to be done before I leave, but by filling my ipod with hundreds of road trip worthy tracks.  While the gazillions of 0's and 1's made their way from my computer to my portable music device, I couldn't help but reminisce about the days of the mix tape.  The selection process, the decisions needed to determine track order, the fact that one tape could take an entire afternoon to create.  I do believe that the mix tape is a lost art form which held a certain quality that my ipod won't even possese.

Obviously more procrastination needed before I start my day, I've come up with what would be the perfect mix tape for my drive home tomorrow.  Think sunny afternoon shadows, mountains and highway stretched out as far as the eye can see, and a love for both the new and the old.

SIDE A:
Bob Dylan                        "Don't Think Twice"
The Avett Brothers           "Swept Away"
The Black Keys               "I'll Be Your Man"
Fleetwood Mac                "Never Going Back"
Kings of Leon                  "Soft"
Neil Young                      "Long May You Run"
Fruit Bats                        "Singing Joy to the World"
John-Rae Fletcher           "Big Talker"
The Arcade Fire              "Keep the Car Running"

SIDE B:
Prince                           "Kiss"
Ghostland Observe.     "Dancing On My Grave"
Traveling Wilburies   "Got My Mind Set on You"
LCD Soundsystem      "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House"
Hot Chip                      "And I Was a Boy From School"
Stevie Wonder             "Signed, Sealed, Delivered"
Madonna                       "Like a Prayer"
Salt and Pepper           "Shoop"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mix tapes? First of all what is this mix tape you speak of?
I just googled it and found out that sometime in the 80's there was this ribbon thing that you could record information onto! How caveman of people.
Well honestly yes I do know of these mix tapes you speak of. I do not miss them. I do not miss it when tape players would chew my new metallic or run dmc tapes to pieces, forcing me to carefully wind the tape back up into the case using my number 2 yellow pencil. You could never truly fix that tape once it was chewed. You would always be forced to listen to some garbled section of that song. I am still confused as to how a tape would end up with a twist after my yellow waterproof Sony walkman ate it. Oh how I missed that Walkman. Auto flip, waterproof and a LCD display to show you what shitty radio station you were listening to. I look forward to seeing one on my
next visit to the museum.

Anonymous said...

my favorite mix tape was from an older boy who introduced me to the sounds of the Misfits, mixed with a little Fleetwood. He even hand drew a tape cover for me. best gift ever.

I even remember the days before these computer thingys when I would make a mix tape using a microphone plugged into my tape player and aimed at the television set; video hits blarring. Amazingly crappy sound quality, but made with pure love and determination.
xo